Saturday 15 March 2014

THOUSAND PIECES OF GOLD - by Ruthanne Lum McCunn




THOUSANDPIECES OF GOLD tells the story of Lalu Nathoy, later known as Polly Bemis. A few Fictitious characters have been added and certain events transposed for the sake of the narrative., but the essential story of Polly’s life remains accurate. This accuracy would have been impossible without the help of a great many people to whom I am deeply indebted.

First and foremost, I wish to acknowledge the pioneer men and woman who cared enough about  Polly to record her story in private papers, newspapers , journals, and oral histories.

I am grateful to historian Sister Mary Afreda Elsensohn for directing me to number of these source and to persons still living who actually knew Polly. Without her existence knowledge and generosity, my task would have been much more difficult, if not impossible.

During my research in Idaho, I was fortunate to have the co operation of many people who agreed to interviews, provided additional leads to other persons and source materials, and continued to answer my questions via correspondence. I am particularly indebted to Jim Campbell, John Carrey, Mary Long, Eisenhaver, Marebelle and Paul Filer, Denis G.Long, Verna Mcgrane, June Sawyer,Vera Weaver Waite, and Lenz Wildman.

I am also Grateful to Nellie McClelland at the Idaho Country Free Press, Bob Waite at the Idaho Country Record’s Office, and M. Gary Bettis, Jim Davis, Karin E. Ford, and Kenneth J. Swanson at the Idaho State Historical Society for encovering critically needed information; to Bob Hawley at Ross Valley Books for introducing me to books about the real West; and the librarians at San Francisco Public Library’s Inter – library Loan Department who ever failed to secure the book and papers I requested from libraries all across the United State.


To many friends who gave their time and talents to the critical reading of my manuscript, I say thank you. I am especially grateful to Beverly Braun, Hoi Lee, Ellen Yeung, and Judy Yung whose insights and specialized knowledge contributed largely to the final form of this book; to John Carrey and Bob Hawley who read the manuscript for historical accuracy; and to Lynda D. Preston whose editorial skills gave my prose needed polish.

Finally, I must be said that without my husband’s contributions at every stage in the research and writing of this book, THOUSAND PIECES OF GOLD would still only be a dream.

To him, and to Lalu Nathoy who inspired this effort, I owe my largest debt.


 - From Preface by Ruthanne Lum McCunn

No comments:

Post a Comment